Thursday, April 29, 2010

Open Mic

I went to a local open mic last night and read 2 poems from Evening Watch and a newish poem that I hadn't done anything with since I wrote it. Some of the poets who read were excellent. Some were good readers of okay poetry, and a few could use work. That's probably about the norm.

In any case, it seems like the poetry scene down the Shore, at least in this area, is about as insular as the Bagel Bards, but just about as varied in experience, although this group skewed younger than the Bards. There's another reading next month at the same venue and a few other venues around the area (Borders at the Hamilton Mall, a coffee shop in Bridgeton, among them) that I'll be looking to participate in.

The next time I go, I'll have a few new poems, too, as I wrote a few new haiku today that are in addition to the NaPoWriMo daily haiku I set for myself, as well as another poem that I'll try to polish before the next reading.

On top of that, Mignon Ariel King was kind enough to publish another poem of mine, Epiphany, in her U.M.Ph.!Prose online journal.

No comments: